Friday, December 24, 2010

CHRISTMAS PAST

The other day Donna Marie asked on facebook to share a memorable Christmas we could remember as a child. I was amazed at how I remember having the Mumps one Christmas when I was about eitght or nine years old. I hadn't thought about that Christmas in a hundred years, lol. Once I thought about that Christmas other Christmases rushed though my mind. I thought about gifts I had recieved over the years especially those when I was a child. I really loved tea sets as a little girl. I would get one almost ever year. I would sit with my dolls and pretend play I was having tea with them. That's funny when I think back on that because I just love tea. There were other toys that I thought about that bought back fund memories. The year we all got an organ I was going to learn how to play that instrument if it meant teaching myself. That never happen, my brother Greg. was pretty good at teaching himself. I believe he played the wedding song on that organ when my sister got married in the house.

Christmas was fun as a child. Waiting for that time to run down the stairs and look for my gift and pull out the gifts that was under the tree. NOw that I think back on that time I have to say I am amazed at how my parents were able to make that happen for us seeing that it was so many of us. We would all get a gift. We did get the Good Felllow bags too. Those white panties and socks I would get and the candy in the little square box that we ate right away. It helped to make for a wonderful Christmas year after year. I remember taking the Good Fellow applications home a month before the holiday and helping my mother fill out the information for me to take back to school. It was funny returning to school and seeing so many kids with those same pair of socks or scraf and hat set.

Then I thought about the Christmases I had with Kirk while he was coming up. Our first Christmas alone and some organization knocking on my door Christmas Eve night with boxes of food, and some toys for Kirk. The gift of the Holly Hobbie because I wanted him to not think that a toy was for just a boy or a girl that it shouldn't matter that he should appreciate the differences. He liked it cooked on it a couple of times too. Pat and I would just over due it with the toys each year. I felt bad that he didn't have a sibling at home to compare gifts with. His firends would come over as soon as the sun would come up and play with him.

Oh and the Christmases at Christ Child House both in the early days when we had girls and boys and when it was just boys. The kids would all get new clothes and a teddy bear that the midnight staff would put in their rooms at night. I have to say I did like doing that when I worked the midnight shift. I felt like Santa's Helper when I had to put them out. One Christmas really sticks out when I was the superviser and on Christmas Eve we sung Christmas songs and read the Bible before they went to bed. The boys even said that was their best Christmas. Then watching them ripping opening their gifts paper flying all over the place. Scream of "my look what I got" and even tears of disappointment. Those were cool Christmases.

Christmas is a very special time of the year I'm glad we celebrate the birth of Christ. I think the exchanging of gifts is very nice. I still don't quite get where we get that from seeing God gave His Son but we didn't give Him anything in return. Maybe it's the Three Wise men that started it all. I do like Christmas. I thought about going to a Catholic Mass service this year. They just do a great job of celebrating Christmas I think.

Christmas is a beautiful celebration. Maybe this year I have another wonderful memory to store in the Christmas day slot of my mind. Merry Christmas everyone.

smile

No comments: