Sunday, December 19, 2010

GONE TOO SOON


Yesterday I recieved a text message from a coworker telling me that a former student from

Vista Meadows was shot and killed. I stared at the message for a long time not believing what I was reading. Pictures of the young ladies face continued to race though my mind. I could only ask why?

I liked this young lady very much. She would yell at me when I would have to ask her to put her cell phone away, or change her blouse but she would always come back in apologize to me. She would often share her candy with me because she knew I liked candy. I wanted to help young people I wanted to help them steer their lives in the right directions. I wanted to encourage them to go for their dreams. This hurts me so much to see that this young ladies dreams are now gone.

I am sad right now because there are so many young people that are racing to be in control of their lives that they're making some very dangerous choices and they're lives are being either taken too soon or imprisoning them. I continue to ask the questions why?

I remember when I was Micah's age I was a young mother. I was scared for my future and had lost my dream so many years before I didn't know how to dream. I was told at Micah's age that I was going to graduate from school that January. I didn't know what to do. The day I was told I could be in full control of my life I wanted to start all over I wanted another chance to do it right. I had to begin to think of my future I decided to go to college. Micah can't make that decisions now she's gone too soon.

As I sit here and write this the tears are forming in my eyes and I don't want to cry. I couldn't help Micah sometimes I feel like I can't help any of these young people. I watched a young man at work yesterday stand and talk about his goals for the future he stood there with prison orange on and talked about wanting to turn his life around and make something good of his life. Can he do that, yes he can. I want to believe that for him but I know it will take hard work to make it happen.

Will he leave one day too soon?

I think of Anne Frank a teenager that had so much promise and a dream that just wasn't going to go away. She left this planet too soon but her dream lives on forevery. Our young people are fighting a war that does not have to be fought. They are living their young lives as if they were in Germany waiting for someone to come and take their lives away. This does not have to be. All the drugs, sex, alocohol, money in the world is not worth this. This does not have to be. Our young people do not believe that because some where we are giving them the impressions that those things are the most important things in life. The truht is they are the most important people in our lives.

I have no answer to my questions of why. I can have hope that one day I can help a teenager see that they are of value to this world. Now I have to go and cry.

No comments: