Sunday, January 18, 2009

JUSTICE FOR ALL



"With liberty and justice for all."

The day Martin Luther King died was the day I saw my father cry. I watched him sit at the dining room table and weep as the television continue to show the assassination over and over again. I stood there stunned at what I was watching. I had just learned about him two months before to do a report on him in school for Negro History Week. I had learned that he had received the Nobel Peace Prize for fighting for racial justice. I couldn't understand why would someone kill a man that only wanted justice for everyone. I didn't understand what we did (black peopel) that society wanting no parts of us. What did we do that was so wrong that we weren't allow to have the same privileges everyone else had in this country.

As I stood there and watched my father cry then he began to pray for peace for our country I could feel the fear rush though me wondering what would happen next. I remember hearing people saying that we'll never be excepted in this country. People were saying there is no justice for blacks. I too began to cry. I had no hope.

On November of this year when Obama won the election I sat and watched the resource come in with Pops, my girlfriends, father. As we watched he shared stories of growing up in the south with all the laws that prohibited him from being excepted as a man in this country. I listened to him share stories of places he wasn't allow to go and working and receiving a very low wage for a days work in the fields. I sat and listened and cried with tears of joy as he shared that he didn't think he would ever see a black man become the president of the United States of America. I found the hope that I lost as a little girl when Martin Luther King was killed.

Justice is finally here for all. Not just for blacks in this country but for everyone. Obama represents everyone that makes up these United States. He believed in this country and the laws that govern this country. He believed that this land was truly made for not just one but for all. He had the hope that was planted many years ago. I feel so proud that our country feels that we should not judge a man by the color of his skin but by his character. I can finally say proudly "with liberty and justice for all."

The Dream is alive.

God bless America

2 comments:

Laura Jannika said...

Very moving. I remember losing Martin, John and and Bobbie. I can't imaging losing my hope for the future of my people as well. Hope is BACK!

kaptkirk said...

God bless America!! i remeber when reagan got shot and how scared i was. so to be around when our other leaders(King, Malcom, the Kennedys) where assasinated i cant even began to think how i would feel!! i watched the King story on the history channel and he was the same age iam now doing the things that he did for our people and our nations!! so i have great hope that our new presidnet will give his best effort for our country and im going to do my part by being a good American!!